[SGVLUG] Vote stealing

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Mon Sep 18 22:20:46 PDT 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Zack, James wrote:

> If I vote, and I get a printed slip that says the wrong candidates
> name on it, I am going to bark about election fraud long before my
> ballot is stuffed into the box!  It would work like this...
>
> Step 1 - Vote electronically, when finished, a paper ballot spits
> outs that has the candidates name clearly printed on it
> Step 2 - Voter visually confirms that is who they voted for before
> depositing into the ballot box
> Step 3 - Put ballot in ballot box
>
> I can't see where there can be fraud with that.  Tabulation could
> be done via the computers and use the paper ballots as backup or
> hand tabulate them afterwards as confirmation.

the visual confirmation would make all the difference in the world. i
didn't think of that from the post i read. correct me if i am wrong,
but i don't think visual confirmation is part of the main protocol in
electronic voting in many areas. that would have to be mandatory for
me to consider electronic as an option.

jeff