[SGVLUG] Google Earth on Slackware 10.2 (was Penguin from "Back East")

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Thu Sep 14 13:51:39 PDT 2006

Emerson, Tom wrote:
> I see the beta-4 version of "google earth" now includes linux
> [http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html]

*snip*

- ---

Tested and works on the following OSs:
     Ubuntu 5.10
     Suse 10.1
     Fedora Core 5
     Linspire 5.1
     Gentoo 2006.0
     Debian 3.1
     Red Hat 9

- ---

Since there was no mention of it... I just installed Google Earth
(beta4) on Slackware 10.2 w/ Kernel 2.6.13 and x11-6.8.2.

*notes*

Slackware x11-6.8.2 Package Update and Security Announcement
http://slackware.com/security/viewer.php?l=slackware-security&y=2006&m=slackware-security.549901

Upgrading to the 2.6.13 Linux Kernel on Slackware 10.2
http://www.seanodonnell.com/code/snippet.php?snippet_ID=47

# INSTALLING...

# permit binary execution
chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin

# install as root for multi-user access
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

# or install as a (non-root) user for single-user access
./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

And that's about it.

http://static.flickr.com/88/243349469_8e41f7b46e_b.jpg

It does run a wee bit sluggish (in windowmaker, haven't tried any others
yet) though, but not too bad. *it's tolerable* =)

Cheers

- --

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA