[SGVLUG] Penguin from "Back East" looking for the Meeting

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Sep 14 12:47:25 PDT 2006

I see the beta-4 version of "google earth" now includes linux
[http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html]

I've attached a couple of "placemark" files that shows a "satallite"
view of the front door (well, more likely a helicopter view...)  [of
course, that is if our list doesn't strip attachments (can't remember
offhand, but I know some lists do...) -- if they don't make it through,
e-mail me direct and I'll send you a copy]

The placemark file format is compressed XML (compressed with zip), so it
shouldn't freak out too many scanning programs.

> -----Original Message----- Of Mic Chow
[...]  I
> kind of know where Caltech is, but don't know my way around
> Caltech or
> what the parking is like for the meetings.  I live in
> Pasadena, but work
> out of Burbank, so I will be coming from Burbank on the 134.
> Any help
> for the lost?

I'm coming from the same place (I'd carpool with you, but (a) I have an
appointment at 4:30 at an eye doctor, and (b) I'm part of a group that
tends to stay at the "after-the-after-meeting" until 2 am or
thereabouts...)

That said, the recommendation for hill isn't bad, but you might find
getting off at LAKE and taking the frontage road to hill to be slightly
less stressful (when you get off at hill, you have approximately 500' to
cross three lanes of sometimes-heavy traffic in order to get into the
right-turn lane; by getting off at lake you have at least 1/2 mile to
accomplish the same...)

--OR--

You can take the 210 "south" for the remaining mile or so of that leg of
the 210 -- this dumps onto California blvd, where you'll turn left and
keep going till you pass LAKE, at which point our meeting is three or
four blocks further along california  (the "after the meeting" meeting
is held at Burger Continental, which is essentially at the corner of
Lake and California -- several members do walk between the meeting and
BC, so essentially any point past lake you should be looking for a spot)