[SGVLUG] Need help with clearing popups from windows system

Alex Roston tungtung at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 5 16:02:11 PDT 2006

Emerson, Tom wrote:

>>You'll need to replace that one.
>>

>I think she uses some sites that are not firefox friendly...  (or,
>rather, are too deeply entrenched in IE)

I meant you'll have to replace whatever file the adware has attached
itself to, either by completely reinstalling windows, (which shouldn't
cause problems w/the current data and settings, but make a backup
anyway) or replacing the single file. The "right" way to do this is to
turn the computer off, then boot from the CD-ROM drive, so current
software can't affect the reinstall process. I haven't fooled with it
lately, but at one point it was possible to do a "hot" reinstall of
Windows, and this didn't work very well for replacing files which had
been deliberately buggered.

Alex