[SGVLUG] Other LUGs in S. CAL

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Nov 22 22:45:47 PST 2006

The status of these Linux user groups is interesting.  See
http://www.lalugs.org/ (Los Angeles Linux User Groups).  I once
maintained that webpage, which is why I'm so interested.  I think
that while the use of Linux is growing, it's becoming more mainstream
(at least for servers) and people feel less of a need to get together
with a user group.  There's a lot of info and discussion re Linux on
the Internet and this competes with a user group.  Also, the advent of
high speed downloading makes it easier for people to obtain Linux over
the internet, than on a cd from a user group.  Can one burn a cd at a
public library?

For the UCLA site, the next meeting is shown for May 2006 which may
mean that they either haven't updated their webpage or aren't having
meetings.  There's some sort of a Linux lounge at UCLA where students
can go at certain times to perhaps meet others interested in Linux.

I looked over some of the posts for LinuxChix for LA.  They formerly
had some meetings but don't seem to have them now.  But there's from 1
to 10 postings/mo. on their website.  So it's possible to have a lug
and just have a mailing list.  But once in a while the group can get
together like the LinuxChix does.

I once had some discussions with the founder of LinuxChix regarding
her Open Source Writer's Group which is now defunct, but that's a long
story that's not important to this Lug.

			David Lawyer