[SGVLUG] PCC (Pasadena City College) class in Linux

dmoore dmoorelists at dslextreme.com
Sun Nov 19 23:43:30 PST 2006

Are you interested in linux ed? I teach a linux class at Santa Monica
College (CS41). I'm doing it now for the 3rd time this fall. It took me
a few years to convince them to offer such linux but we've now got it in
the curriculum. I'm half-time and the only instructor there who knows
linux, the other faculty seem (disappointingly) unmotivated to learn
about it. Not that it doesn't take a certain significant commitment to
do so, so I don't judge at all.

Every semester it's a question mark whether enough students will sign up
to avoid canceling classes offered in the published catalog, but so far
so good CS41 gets about 20 or 25 at the beginning of the semester (they
cancel below 18) then it dwindles some but mostly as you know there's an
undercurrent of interest in the computing/IT community and it's
sustaining this class. I teach a networking class too (CS70) and base it
totally on linux. Plus, we/they won some grant money from NASA to put
together new curriculum about, among other things, network security and
implementing it is my baby. I got some budget for the first time and we
will introduce 3 new classes next year, 2 being mine (CS78 CS75) and
being linux-based. We bought a big-memory server (from Clay Claiborne,
Cosmos Engineering) and I'm going to use VMware to build some virtual
networks out of virtual PCs in that memory, then interact them (VPNs,
perimeter networks, subnets, low electric bills). I'm learning from it
and it's fun.

Linux ed in socal is patchy. Some schools have a good course or two,
it's really personnel driven-- whether they have the person motivated
and knowledgeable to teach it. Most don't. Those that do are islands,
and sometimes the linux instructor leaves and that's the end of their
curriculum. It's not uniform or consistent. Santa Monica College, apart
from me happening to be there, is otherwise a Windows place
thru-and-thru. Dan Kegel maintains some links about linux ed at his
lalugs.org website.