[SGVLUG] PCC (Pasadena City College) class in Linux

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sat Nov 18 00:32:50 PST 2006

I once took a Linux class at PCC which didn't have many students and
was not given again.  It was called "Unix Administration".  I was at
the PCC bookstore the other day and noticed they have again offered a
Linux class.  It uses the textbook: Introduction to Unix and Linux.
The textbook only covers the command line and doesn't have anything
about email.  I doubt if it has much about networks.  It has a lot of
step-by-step exercises where it gives you a sequence of commands to
type so you can see what happens.  Thus it's more elementary than the
class previously offered.  It's aimed at people that know almost
nothing about Linux (or computers ??) and comes with a RedHat CD so
you can install Linux (probably an old version of it) on your PC.

So if someone shows up at SGVLUG who knows almost nothing about Linux
or commands like cd, ls, etc.  Then this class would teach them the
basics of the command line interface.  I looked up "chroot" and
"emacs"in the index and found nothing.  But I did find a lot about the
vi editor.  Sorry but I didn't have time to check it out more.  The
class has already started and I don't know if it will be offered
again.

			David Lawyer