[SGVLUG] What happened to Mozilla's Composer?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 16:31:37 PST 2006

On 11/8/06, Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Claude Felizardo <cafelizardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone else miss the Composer in Netscape/Mozilla?  I've been
> > pretty happy with Firefox and Thunderbird but every once in a while I
> > need to be able to create a quick HTML file.  Normally I hate HTML
> > mail but it beats having to deal with the MS Office file formats that
> > corporate seems to prefer.  What I liked about Composer was it was a
> > WYSIWYG editor that worked on all of the machines I have to use - be
> > it Windoze, Solaris or Linux.  The result was viewable by anyone and I
> > didn't have to export as PDF or anything else.  It just worked on
> > every machine.
> >
> > So now I need to work on my monthly status report which means using
> > last months report as a template, edit a table and updates some
> > bullets.  Is there a Firefox/Thunderbird equivalent like an extension?
> >  I'm looking for something that will be just as transparent on Linux,
> > Solaris and windoze.
>
> As far as I know is still part of Mozilla suite. I downloaded that
> Last time I wanted to use composor. Or have they stopped releasing
> Mozilla (the full browser). Still seems to be available
> http://www.mozilla.org/releases/ last release was in april.

It doesn't look like the Mozilla "suite" is active anymore.  The last
version is 1.7.13 which was released back in April.  I'm currently
using Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 and Firefox 1.5.0.7 which came both out in
Sept. but Firefox 2.0 just came two weeks ago.  If I get a chance,
I'll have a look at nvu which as pointed out by Erik seems to be what
I'm looking for.  Otherwise, it looks like the Mozilla "suite" has
been replaced by SeaMonkey but not sure if has all of the features of
the individual components and looks like there's still a number of
issues.  The last stable release is 1.0.5 which also came out in Sept.

I guess the question is do I want the latest stuff as they become
available or do I want a complete suite (browser, email and composer).
 The main reason I finally gave up on Mozilla was I got tired of the
browser crashing on certain websites and taking down my mail client
client with it.

What are people using?

claude