[SGVLUG] Myth TV question!

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:34:44 PST 2006

On 11/6/06, Munjal Thakkar <m00njal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, looking to start a myth TV project towards this coming weekend,
> heres a little low down so you guys can know what feedback to give
> My mom wants a new TV setup in the bedroom, they are still using this
> ancient 13" CRT that they have had since probably they came to the US? *its
> color though* and it still works fine. However I spotted a nice 22" LCD on
> sale for about $250 at circuit city *check your local flyer* and was
> interested to nab that for them and have it setup for a front end box in the
> bedroom. Not so bad, I just was wondering if front end only, I should be ok
> with a little 733mhz setup (old MATX board) and possibly 256 ram?
Well 733 will not playback HD, and will have issues with mpeg2, in my
experiance, Unless you have a hardware decoder.

> Second, I
> have various forms of hardware laying around, and all spiffy for my backend,
> but really wanted some feed back or references I could be linked too for a
> good TV tuner card, possibly DVR card, or a HD tuner only card that I could
> stick in there and have it running away for my parents. All advice is
> greatly appreciate d!

I like haugage(sp?) pvr(1/2/3)50 cards that do hardware mpeg2
encoding, pvr350 does hardware decoding as well. I have pchd3000(HDTV)
card as but I have some issues with it but is great when it works.
> p.s. any speakers for this week ?

Ya Claude has agreed to talk about his weather station setup, and if
there is still time port knocking. Tom you want to put that up on the
website?