[SGVLUG] stupid newbie questions

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 14:24:26 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, K. Zachary Abbott <kzabbott at mypcbiz.com> wrote:
> Sorry - this is still new to me so I'm not as specific as I might be,
> because I don't know the options!
>
> So, what I changed was:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network, which reads:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain.com
> GATEWAY=192.168.227.254
>
> and
>
> /etc/hosts, which now reads:
> 127.0.0.1   localhost at localdomain.com
> 192.168.227.10 myhost.mydomain.com
>
> I am trying enter a username and password via the GUI.
> When I use root and the root password, I get in just fine.
> When I try to use any other username/password combination I get an
> "Authentication Failure" pop-up box, even with a newly created user.
>
> If I try to use SSH to access  the box from the command line with any
> other user than root, I am unable to connect.
>
> I hope that's a bit more clear...

That's OK that is how you learn. I usually have my hostname resolve to
the loopback(127.0.0.1) just in case some daemon is not lessening to
the public address. Have you tried strate command line locally
CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a virtual terminal, then try one of your users.
CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to X-windows. My only thought is that X is
trying to connect to your outside address, to authenticate.