[SGVLUG] stupid newbie questions

K. Zachary Abbott kzabbott at mypcbiz.com
Thu May 25 14:09:49 PDT 2006

Sorry - this is still new to me so I'm not as specific as I might be,
because I don't know the options!

So, what I changed was:

/etc/sysconfig/network, which reads:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain.com
GATEWAY=192.168.227.254

and

/etc/hosts, which now reads:
127.0.0.1   localhost at localdomain.com
192.168.227.10 myhost.mydomain.com

I am trying enter a username and password via the GUI.
When I use root and the root password, I get in just fine.
When I try to use any other username/password combination I get an
"Authentication Failure" pop-up box, even with a newly created user.

If I try to use SSH to access  the box from the command line with any
other user than root, I am unable to connect.

I hope that's a bit more clear...

--
K. Zachary Abbott, MCSE
Owner - MyPCBiz