[SGVLUG] stupid newbie questions

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 10:19:39 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, K. Zachary Abbott <kzabbott at mypcbiz.com> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to rename a Linux (specifically Red Hat Enterprise
> 4WS) box?
>
> In windows, I would right-click "my computer", select the Name tab and
> change the name....
>
> How do I do this in RHE?

Well that question is more complicted then you think do you mean the hostname?

I am hesitant to answer sense someone else may know how to do it with
a gui tool, I don't.
If you meant the hostname you chage the file /etc/sysconfig/network
hostname=newhostname
add the name to /etc/hosts on the first line 127.0.0.1 newhostname localhost.

But again I don't know it that is what you want to change.