[SGVLUG] Fw: [Re: Talk?]

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri May 19 10:33:46 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:14:18PM -0700, Dustin Laurence wrote:
> Since there was interest, I inquired about the possibility of a talk
> from the Linspire guys.  Here is the response:
[OK]

> I imagine they'll tell us something of what Linspire is doing in other
> areas, and that's probably appropriate for our many members who don't
> get all interested in wierd languages.  I would expect the marketing
> level to be kept appropriate since David and Cliff are engineers, not
> marketing types.  I enjoyed the Novell presentation a while back and
> that was much more marketing than I'd expect from these guys.  So it's
> probably an appropriate thing for the LUG if we're interested.  Several
> people said yes--are there any "noes"?

I'll abstain but remember, by giving a talk where you need to be
a programmer to understand it, you will turn off new potential
members who don't know programming.  Trying to understand new
languages or functional programming requires some background in
programming which can't be assumed for most Linux enthusiasts.  But if
it was say on Bash Scripting and it was clearly explained, then it
would be OK since scripting is something that most Linux enthusiasts
do (or should) know about.

			David Lawyer