[SGVLUG] Linux based web-server appliance

Matthew Gallizzi matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com
Thu May 18 19:10:58 PDT 2006

Since the options for setting up your own server have been discussed, I will
talk about paying a hosting company.

As of today, I have been moving my hosting accounts from powweb.com to
1and1.com (developer package). Powweb was great, I was with them for about 6
years. It is $7.99 a month and it saved me the hassle of a lot of different
aspects of running a website. I moved because 1and1 just provides a lot more
(1.5TB of monthly bandwidth, 150GB of space...) and I am going to start a
web project that will most likely consume a lot of bandwidth. Anyways, I
just wanted to let you know that this option is available... Powweb uses
FreeBSD servers and I'm not too sure what 1and1 runs but I know it's linux.
In the end, time is money. If you want to learn, then setting it up yourself
would be your best bet.

On another note, I was the webmaster for San Dimas High School (In the
Bonita Unified School District) and their host is just a typical one like
Powweb if that means anything.

Hope this helps,

Matthew Gallizzi