[SGVLUG] last nite's meeting - please help

I plut0248crat at isp.com
Tue May 16 21:59:22 PDT 2006

I'm running an external modem on what used to be called com port one.
I do not have the tech background, but I did get my modem running.
I'm using Fedora C4, maybe I can help?

If you are running an internal modem, there's a species of modem that
uses part of the CPU microprocessor to do the job. It is not a full
modem in the ordinary sense, and it will not work with Linux. Winmodem??

Aside from being cheap, I'm running an external modem because it
bypasses the problem of modem compatibility. The Hayes is universal so
it was a safe bet that it would work with any flavor of Linux, or just
about anything else, except as a pizza cutter.