[SGVLUG] last nite's meeting - please help

Johannes Graumann graumann at caltech.edu
Tue May 16 08:15:20 PDT 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 21:52, David Lawyer wrote:
> Doesn't install from CD give you a lot of programs that you don't
> really need and not give one a choice of all the different packages
> that exist?  Which ftp should I use?, which browser?, which window
> manager?, which editor?, which word processor (if any), etc. etc.
Debian installer gives you the option of choosing predefined packages
("LaTeX", "Workstation" and the likes) and switching to manual package
selection - which ends you up in hours of scanning the gazillion options the
distribution of my choice offers you ... ;0)

> Supposedly, I install a minimal system from floppies and then get the
> rest of the software from the Internet.  I looked into this before and
> Debian claimed it would work but it didn't seem to explain exactly how
> to do it.  It was called "network install" but it didn't seem to have a
> way to dial in to an ISP to connect to connect to the Internet.
I install my debian systems only by this means (albeit from the Netinstall
minimal CDs). The CD comes with the basics to get a system up and running and
sets up the NIC. The rest is then sucked from the net - not much to explain.
Just try it.

Joh

| Johannes Graumann, Dipl. Biol.                                       |
|      Graduate Student                Tel.: ++1 (626) 395 6602        |
|      Deshaies Lab                    Fax.: ++1 (626) 395 5739        |
|      Department of Biology                                           |
|      CALTECH, M/C 156-29                                             |
|      1200 E. California Blvd.                                        |
|      Pasadena, CA 91125                                              |
|      USA                                                             |