[SGVLUG] I can't send email (but now I can).

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Jun 7 19:42:17 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 07:13:09PM -0700, John E. Kreznar wrote:

> David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> writes:
>
> > I couldn't send email ...
>
> > ... checking showed that they had been refused by my ISP due to lack
> > of authentication (failed TLS ?).
>
> Authentication.  TLS on top of that is recommended by LAFN but
> optional.
True, but I guess I read over what LAFN said in too much haste:

  All other users will need to check their mail configuration for
  sending mail and enable the use of SMTP-AUTH (and preferably
  TLS/SSL).
-- LAFN Systems Administration

I thought, incorrectly, that TLS was one method (and the preferred
method) of SMTP-AUTH, since I had never heard of either term.

Thanks for making this clear.  I never would have had so much trouble
if I had realized this and searched the documentation for SMTP-AUTH
instead of TLS.

> Are you using exim4 or an earlier version?
exim4.
[snip]

			David Lawyer