[SGVLUG] view jpg's on mepis

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Fri Jul 28 23:42:07 PDT 2006

"Harold Totten" <haroldtotten at gmail.com> writes:

> I believe that the CDROM drive was mounted.  I could see the names of the
> files.

Try this: Open an xterm or other command window.  Issue a "mount"
command.  It should tell you for sure whether the CD is mounted, and
should show where in the file system it's mounted.  Let's say it's at
/cdrom.  Do this:

   cd /cdrom
   ls -l

This should list the files there.  (If instead of familiar image
names, you see directory names, poke around in the directories until
you find the images, and change directory to that place.)  Determine
the type of each file with

   file *

Any jpeg's?  Let's say file imag.jpg is identified by "file imag.jpg"
as a jpeg image.  Do this:

   display imag.jpg

Does it display?  If it complains "display: no such..." then mepis
doesn't have ImageMagick installed.  But it probably has something for
displaying jpeg images.  Maybe xv or xview or xloadimage, or give
command "apropos jpg" or some such to get a list of other ideas.  Use
the "which" command to find out which one(s) you have.  Let's say it's
xv.  Then give "xv imag.jpg".  Does it display?

> But, when I click on one I got the remote message.

Sounds like you're using a browser.  Which browser?

> I see that there is a Linux version of Picasa.  I'll try to install that.  I
> may need some help with that.

I know almost nothing about Picasa.  Apparently it's useful for
putting images up on a web site.  Is that what you want to do?

> I used the other operating system to burn the CD.  Could that be a
> problem?

A jpeg is a jpeg.  Program "file" described above should give an
authoritative answer.

- --
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13
  Operating a computer with a GUI is like driving a car with
   an animated cartoon in place of the clear front window.