[SGVLUG] Linux Class

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri Jul 14 14:25:35 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:31:05AM -0700, Joel Witherspoon wrote:
> I'm putting together a basic Linux class for a local Adult School. Does
> anyone have any ideas, books, topics I should cover?

I took a Linux class at Pasadena City College a few years ago.  The
textbook they started with was so bad that I got them to switch to:
"Linux, the Textbook" (2001) which was better.  The enrollment was
only several students, some of whom dropped it, so the course was
dropped.

In ... the Textbook in: 14.2 Computer Networks and Internetworking it
reads: "When two or more computer hardware resources (computers,
printers, scanners, plotters, etc.) are connected, they form a computer
network."  This is wrong, but what it right?   First, the definition
of a network has to be fuzzy.  If I connect 2 PC's together using a
network protocol, then it's a network in a sense, since it uses a
network protocol.  But I think that two devices connected together
point-to-point isn't a network unless the point-to-point connection
is part of a larger network (like PPP on the phone line to connect to
the internet via an ISP).

So what is a network?  3 or more devices connected together, not on a
bus, and using a network protocol of some type (including ethernet).
Am I right?

			David Lawyer