[SGVLUG] Linux Class

Don Gibbs donald.e.gibbs at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 14 13:11:12 PDT 2006

>I'm putting together a basic Linux class for a local Adult School.
>Does anyone have any ideas, books, topics I should cover?

Is there a particular goal for this class?  Is there a larger
curriculum?  In the absence of any ...

I tend to think of dreary basics like imparting the skills to install
and maintain small systems, in particular, being able to

1) Size a system for its intended use.

2) Prepare a site.  Physically, electrically, environmentally, etc.

3)  Select and install a kernel.  How do you compare distros? How do
you get ahold of a distro?  Major installation decisions.  What parts
of the target machine's hardware impact the installation?  Why and
when should you update/patch the kernel?  Where do you record your
configuration decisions and activities?

4) Make the system reliable and secure.

5) Install applications.  And update them; stay current.

6) Provide basic office capability like a private network, shared
printer, inter-operability with other *nix, MS & Mac.

6) Back up and restore valuable data.

Sounds like a modern day handy-man.

    --Don
Don Gibbs		| "Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas
dgibbs at jpl.nasa.gov	| -- only I don't know exactly what they are!"
818 354-2990 - office	|
818 653-9531 - cell	|       Alice, after reading JABBERWOCKY

Sec 316, Flight S/W & Data Systems - Group B, GN&C and FSW Testing
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of JPL/Caltech or NASA