[SGVLUG] Especially for Tom & his Prius....

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Thu Jul 13 11:41:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:00:58AM -0700, Stan Schwarz wrote:

> Um... This is a rather breathtaking claim. While it's true that
> the human is a poor source of power, a bicycle is very efficient
> in its use of that power. And my bike and me together weigh
> something like 180 pounds. My car and me weigh about 3500 pounds.
> Which one takes more energy to haul up the hill to my house?

Most people will expend the calories anyway, whether they go to fat or
kinetic energy.  In that sense, it's free. :-)

It doesn't really matter anyway--the bike makes you live longer,
happier, and healthier.  It would be a good investment if it got you
nowhere (thus, stationary bikes).  No heat engine does that.  Anyone who
complains about efficiency for human-powered travel is nuts.

Dustin