[SGVLUG] Updated: San Gabriel Valley Linux® Users Group (SGVLUG) Developer SIG (DevSIG) monthly meeting

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sat Jul 1 18:31:30 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 06:01:01PM -0700, Tom Emerson wrote:

> Dustin Laurence wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 12:37:17PM -0700, Michael B. Parker wrote:
> >
> > I must say, this is the most annoying mail formatting I have ever come
> > across.  Must be some awful Microsoft thing.
>
> Only partly true -- yes, Microsoft has had a hand in mucking this one
> up, but that's par for the course.  (embrace, extend...)
>
> What this message contained is/was an "iCalendar" object (see
>     wikipedia for details, but the short version is this:

You misunderstand--I had to look at the message in a text editor to even
see the calendar.  I care nothing for it, but it wasn't a problem.  The
problem was the way the actual text came out.  Really awful.

Shutting off HTML mail might help (well, it will certainly help make the
world a better place, even if it doesn't address this issue :-).

> Admittedly, it is a bit unusual to be sending that type of message "to a
> group" (even in an office/business setting, where calendar items are
> regularly passed around, you still don't send them to "groups")  I
> suspect, however, after the severe tongue-lashing we've given him at the
> meeting today, that "this won't happen again" [from him, at least ;) ]

Aw, we weren't that mean, were we?

Dustin