[SGVLUG] off topic - hardware question

Robert mrflash818 at geophile.net
Fri Jan 27 19:54:47 PST 2006

Greetings,

It may be that the lens is dirty.

Try canned air, or (more drastic) a dry q-tip to clean it.

I would not recommend using alcohol or solvent with the q-tip, as many
drive lenses are plastic, and the alcohol would damage it.

> this is a very old house and quite dusty. if i am reading what you
> are saying, the lenses are dirty so the drive must spin faster to
> supply the necessary data to play, say, a movie fluidly?

The fast spinning may be a symptom of the drive not being able to read the
disc well enough to run at the correct speed for data retreival.

Most drives will "hunt" by varying their speed in an attempt to find the
right speed to get the data. Some will go max speed, some slow.

--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva
mrflash818 at geophile.net