[SGVLUG] off topic - hardware question

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Fri Jan 27 14:40:55 PST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

> My guess is that the lenses are getting dirty in the drives. Are there
> Cats, Dogs, or lots of dust in the room with computer? I have never
> had a disc explode as the disc needs to be cracked before it is put in
> the drive to cause a disc explostion. The drive spin that fast so they
> can read data faster.

this is a very old house and quite dusty. if i am reading what you
are saying, the lenses are dirty so the drive must spin faster to
supply the necessary data to play, say, a movie fluidly?

this so far is the most plausible idea.

some of the articles i have read suggest the cdrom disk need not be
cracked before inserting into the drive. older cdrom disks (not dvd
disks) are sometimes manufactured weak enough to develop the cracks
that lead to the explosion as they are manufactured to lower
standards established before higher speed drives hit the market.

jeff