[SGVLUG] Linux job posting -- any interest?

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 26 20:49:01 PST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> yes and no -- you'll notice I'm acting as a "check valve" here -- I
> didn't post the [gory] details of the job, just enough that if someone
> is serious about seeking employment, this may be a good lead for them.
> At the same time, it (hopefully) wasn't so much that it would annoy the
> crap out of the regular readers of this list.  (that's what this side
> discussion is for :) )

I have a feeling that we all got or will get a copy.

> I cannot verify how many "enormous" is -- I did indeed ask if he had
> sent it to "everyone he found on our list" or not, and he admitted "I
> have sent this to a few others in your area as well",

I have no trust left in my fellowman, apparently.  I automatically assumed
that it went to every email address they found.

> ...if the recruiter took the time he spent replying to my questions to
> "sign up" for the SGVLUG list, he could have then "spammed" our list

Agreed, I just sort of suspect that's not how it happened.  However, it's
true that he could have signed up and then chose a few names.  I dunno.

> In any case, he is (apparently) savvy enough to realize a cold-call to a
> list is usually considered "bad form" [or knows it just has a lousy ROI]
> so I'll give him the benefit of doubt to start with.

OK, granted, he didn't send mail to the list directly, that is something.

> Now, with all that said, I wonder if it might be worthwhile to organize
> a "classified" section of our website to allow people to post job
> offers?  True, anytime you let the "public" post to a website, even in
> moderation, you'll likely get trash, but at least there would be an
> avenue for people to post or pursue without "annoying" the majority...

Why make it public?  Just have the headhunter sign up for an account.
Don't limit them unless there is gross abuse, if they follow whatever
rules are set up (say, no more than 2^32 listings at one time :-) ) let
them do what they want.  Just the fact that you have to give a name and
contact info should discourage some of the real idiots.

> > One of the details is that the resume is requested in .doc format. :-)
>
> heh heh heh -- yup, and when I pointed that out to him, here was his
> response:
>
>      "Thank you for the tip about requesting a WORD doc from people that
> are mostly in the Open Source world.  I will take note of that for sure.
>
> so I'll give him a second point for paying attention... ;)

I pointed out the same thing, and also that if I were doing the hiring I'd
immediately discard all applications that were in .doc format.  I got a
similar response, and also questions about how I felt about the email.  I
haven't answered that yet.

> p.s. I just checked my server logs (since I told him where I keep my
> resume online), and it appears he is using firefox 1.0.4, so he can't be
> all that bad, right? ;)

Mmm, I guess not.  But what happens when dozens of headhunters do the same
thing?  Seems like a commons situation to me, and this guy's only
advantage is that he did it first.

Oh, well, at least it says that there is some demand for Linux folk. :-)

Dustin