[SGVLUG] FC4 -- how to stop boot into graphics mode

Don Saxton dsaxton at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 24 13:07:46 PST 2006

I got some experience finding a text terminal and I can report some sad
news.  But first the good news! After several tries I got a modeline
that works on my 2405fpw monitor and MSI version of the nvidia 6600.  I
have the impression that there must be a range of modeline parameters
that will work. I don't think my solution is optimal, but in the range
of ok.  I  am guessing that the xvidtune might help to spruce it up.
One of my requirements is to use this great 1920x1200 to view hdtv at
1920x1080 and 1280x720, So I think I need three modelines. I have
mplayer playing the atsc stream from /dev/dvb/apapter0/dvr0 which has
been tuned by azap, so I am someplace on the map. Concommitant problems:
lircd won't start (serial ir device and serial driver loads), don't know
if the 6600 is accelerating mpeg2 (could that be addressed in the dvb
drivers?),  and my alsa config is for sure not right (sound stream
frequently crashs mplayer on a 2.8ghz machine). my goal is to solve
enough problems to get mythtv to crank up. Having fun, just my progress
has so far been a bit soggy.

The bad news is that it seems that if the video is stuck with a bad
modeline, then you can't see a test terminal. Fortunately I upgraded fc4
so that I have another kernel which seems to ignore the bad video
config. Also you can get grub to jump to runlevel 1. sort of the 'catch
me if you can' solution.