[SGVLUG] SCALE Early Bird ticket sales held open!

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 8 21:44:15 PST 2006

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Jeff Carlson wrote:

> Dustin wrote:
> > Too bad that it opens on the second Saturday of the month, which is rarely
> > free for me.  However, I now know that my usual sailing event is moved to
> > the third Saturday in Feb, which means I may be able to attend after
> > all[1].
>
> Can you help with the SGVLUG booth?  If you do your ticket is free.

Possibly, but I'm not sure and may not be for a while.  The only reason is
the suggestion that there would be audio stuff there--otherwise, I've
never been to SCALE, and I tend not to volunteer for things I haven't
attended the ordinary way first.

However...I have a perfect storm of hardware failure to recover from, and
may not have time to look at the audio stuff until (1) I have a working
family website, and (2) I have a working desktop (right now my new and not
totally configured laptop is my desktop).

> Think of it this way.  The ticket is good for one day.  If you go on
> Saturday, Sunday is automatically free.  Does Magic Mountain still do
> twickets?  So if you only made it Sunday, you only lost the free day.

If I knew what a "twicket" was, I might know the answer.  Your argument
would carry some weight with someone who had a more conventional social
life.  Ask me how many times I've gone to Magic Mountain in the 15ish
years I've lived here.

> Also, some of the speakers we're bringing you also speak at some of the
> larger conventions like LISA, which run thousands of dollars.

I bet for even more money I could have them come to my house and
personally configure my boxen for me and maybe write some custom code. :-)

> ...As a LUG
> member, your admission is only $25 for the whole weekend.  I've paid $20
> just to get into a club on a Saturday night.

Ask me how many clubs I've gone to in the last 15ish years...I think I
must have spent that time/money sailing.

Pretty great move on my part, if you ask me. :-)

> ...Disneyland is over $50 for
> one day.

We took the niece and nephew a couple of times, but only when we could get
in for considerably less.  And by God I hope not to be in the same county
as that many overweight tourists in omg-way-too-revealing clothes for a
*long* time.  I wonder how long I will be able to get away with telling
Eric that the LA County Museum of Natural History or the Zoo are *far*
more fun than Disneyland?

> volunteers from across the country.  We are required by the city and
> county to have insurance, and specifically unionized contractors do the
> electrical and set up the booths.

I'm glad I'm not responsible for organizing it--that sort of law tends to
make me want to go elsewhere at any cost.  I try to be more diplomatic
than I used to be....

> If you ask me, your $25 is the best deal your going to get on something
> like this anywhere in the country, possibly even the world.

When it comes right down to it, I'm not a joining, conventioning, people
sort of person.  It took a conscious effort just to find out if there was
a local LUG, though you'd think I'd have done it a long time ago since I
ran Linux on every machine I've owned except the 8-bit micros way back and
a DOS machine or two that didn't have an MMU.  I sort of plan on coming,
but it takes a conscious effort and I still haven't bought my
ticket--which I guess indicates I must have some subconscious mental
reservations I haven't overcome yet.

Dustin