[SGVLUG] Cluster Filesystems

Max Clark max at clarksys.com
Sat Jan 7 15:26:01 PST 2006

Hi all,

A recent failure of a customer's NetApp has again left me looking for a
better approach to network storage - specifically in the redundancy and
replication model. For the sites that can afford it we recommend and
sell the Isilon systems which give what I am looking for... multiple
nodes striped together to provide a distributed pool of storage that can
  survive a node failure.

Ideally I'd love to run the Google File System
(http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs.html) but I don't think they would
give me a copy. Which leaves me with AFS and CODA. Can anyone give me
real world examples/tips/tricks with these systems?

I would like to be able to take a bunch of 1U single CPU machines with
dual 250GB-500GB hard drives and cluster them together as a single NAS
system supporting NFS/CIFS clients. I figure I should be able to get
0.2TB of usable protected storage into a node for ~$800/ea, this would
mean $5,600 for 1TB of protected storage (assuming parity and n+1).

Thoughts and opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Max

--
   Max Clark