[SGVLUG] Static problems - suggested remediations

Robert Leyva mrflash818 at geophile.net
Tue Dec 26 10:59:54 PST 2006

I recommend an ISOBAR 4 ULTRA surge suppressor. Looks like a small Humvee
-- all metal case, can withstand some serious Joules. I own one and
recommend them.

Here is a picture of them I found via froogle
http://store.officeworld.com/ProductImages/united/standard/AZER0076.JPG

...another thing I can recommend is to get some "any brand" liquid fabric
softener, dilute it to one part softener to three parts water, and then
use a mister to mist the floor the computer is in.

Fabric softener conducts electricity, and will prevent static build up.
The isobar will protect the PC from the wall power.

Also, if you mist and then wipe down the monitor (if it is a CRT), it will
prevent static build up there as well.

If you hate the static build up during the dry winters, then mist your
carpet too.

--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva