[SGVLUG] Quantum leap in spam rate today?

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sat Dec 23 15:57:49 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 02:57:02PM -0800, Christopher Smith wrote:

> Yes. I've seen a quantum leap in the spam rate today, and by that I mean
> the smallest measurable change. ;-)

You saw a difference of h_bar/2 messages?  What observables does one
commute to obtain the uncertainty in the case of email messages?
Perhaps it is a matter of state transitions and one needs to solve for
the eigenstates and not try to hand-wave an uncertainty calculation?
What observable gives the eigenspectrum?

My mind boggles at the virtuoso application of quantum theory you guys
are developing....

> P.S.: Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.

While it isn't actually a term with a technical meaning (try to find
"quantum leap" used in the literature), I don't think you should define
a "quantum leap" as "the smallest measurable unit of change either.  But
it's a lot better than "really amazingly staggeringly big," that I grant
you. :-)

Dustin, "the number of spam messages in your inbox is indeterminate
         until you open it"