[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Matthew Gallizzi matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 16:35:30 PST 2006

On 12/22/06, John E. Kreznar <jek at ininx.com> wrote:

> > ... static electricity keeps shutting down a computer we recently
> > built ...
>
> What do you mean "shutting down"?  Does it simply freeze as though
> something is going into a tight loop, or does power get shut off?

It just shuts off. I rub socks on carpet, touch front of case, system
completely shuts off. Doesn't freeze. Last motherboard I tried would
restart.

Have you probed anything with a 'scope?  If the power supply is
> turning off, it must be being commanded to do so, and it would be
> interesting to investigate the source of the command.

Probed with a scope? Hm, don't think so.

I once added memory (256 KB to a Microdata 3200 -- big stuff in the
> '70s) which turned the computer into a veritable noise detector --
> extremely sensitive to static discharge.  Turned out to be a design
> flaw in the CDC memory.  I fixed it by rebuilding the refresh circuit.

I tried with a different motherboard + different RAM ... still did it.

--
Matthew Gallizzi