[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Matthew Gallizzi matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:38:45 PST 2006

Answers below

> 1. Are you sure that the outlets you are using are properly grounded
> and have the neutral on the correct side?  Have you tried one of those
> 3 prong
> testers with the color coded neon bulbs or LEDs?

I have tried 2 outlets in the opposite side of my house and at another
house. I have not tried a 3 prong tester, I have tried my 30 minute backup
UPS.

2. Are you near a high power radio transmitter?

Don't think so. Also tried at a house 2 miles away... same problem

3. Were you by chance near a Christmas Tree?  Halogen lamp?  Any other
> electrially noisy appliance?

Nope, tried in several locations.

4. Check for an intermittant connection between the power supply and
> the motherboad - the one that the MB uses to control the PS.

What do you mean intermittant connection? We tried 3 cases, 4 motheboards,
hmm...

5. When you say you are grounding yourself against the case, are you
> touching bare metal or the painted side?

I am touching the front of the case. Which is, painted, I believe. I
basically rub socks on carpet, touch front of the case, and it shuts off.

6. Have you recently been in contact with anyone traveling from
> Russia?  Do you have access to a Geiger counter?

Over IRC, I have. Hm, never heard of Geiger counter. hehe

--
Matthew Gallizzi