[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:32:07 PST 2006

On 12/22/06, Matthew Gallizzi <matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to clarify on the things we have tried...
> - 4 PSUs (2 new, 2 used and working great)
> - 4 motherboards (3 brand new, 1 used and working great)
> - 3 cases (1 used, 2 brand new - all aluminum)
> - 3 different power cords
> - 2 wall outlets in my house on opposite ends of house, and, another house 2
> miles away
> - 2 CPUs
> - tested RAM, RAM is fine - haven't swapped out
> - 2 Video cards
> - 3 experienced people have rebuilt the system 5+ times ... problem remains.
>
> Hm, I think that's it. Oh, and I've made 3 trips to frys (25+ miles away),
> and 3 trips to the vendor who sold me the case.
>
> My confusion: I have built the computer and had the motherboard ONLY
> connected via power... and it was leaning outside of the case, not touching
> the case at all.. and the PSU was stilled screwed into the case. Now, I
> would touch the case and it would shut off. Then, I took both PSU and mobo
> completely out of the system ... started it .. touched the case, and, of
> course, it didn't shut off. Then, I built up static electricity like I do
> (rub feet on carpet with socks) and zapped the power supply 6 times in 4
> different areas. Computer never shut off. I have spent 30+ hours on this and
> xed has helped me a great amount and put in a lot of time as well... any
> input greatly appreciated.
>
> On 12/22/06, Munjal Thakkar <m00njal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > matt gallizzi and I, both frequent attendees of the cal tech lug have the
> strangest problem ever, static electricity keeps shutting down a computer we
> recently built, because its an all metal case. We have verified every part
> 100% from switching ram to cpu to mobo, to PSU, EVERYTHING, however we both
> still have this strange problem, isnt the point of touching the metal part
> of a case supposed to ground you from static discharge in the first place?
> obviously that rule isnt applying here, any feedback is greatly appreciated
>

> --
> Matthew Gallizzi

1. Are you sure that the outlets you are using are properly grounded
and have the neutral on the correct side?  Have you tried one of those
3 prong
testers with the color coded neon bulbs or LEDs?

2. Are you near a high power radio transmitter?

3. Were you by chance near a Christmas Tree?  Halogen lamp?  Any other
electrially noisy appliance?

4. Check for an intermittant connection between the power supply and
the motherboad - the one that the MB uses to control the PS.

5. When you say you are grounding yourself against the case, are you
touching bare metal or the painted side?

6. Have you recently been in contact with anyone traveling from
Russia?  Do you have access to a Geiger counter?