[SGVLUG] How to find version number and date ?

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sun Dec 17 19:59:34 PST 2006

I'm revising my Text-Terminal-HOWTO and want to advise people about
using getty for login from dumb terminals.  There are several getty
programs and most of them don't work for dumb terminals.

So I'm trying to find out more about agetty and getty_ps, both of
which work fine with dumb terminals.  Which is better?  A start would
be to find out version info. (including date).  Also, which
distributions have which?

Version: In Debian and some other distributions, agetty is included in
the util-linux package.  So one can readily find the version of this
package but not that of agetty.  On the site where a lsm (metadata)
file is for agetty, it shows the latest update as 1997.  On the same
site, it shows that getty_ps was last updated in 2005.  rpmfind only
finds old versions of the getty_ps package.  Was it put into another
package?

OK, I've got about the latest version of util-linux.  But using
the "strings" command on the agetty binary (named getty) doesn't show
any version info.  And even if I could get the version number, what's
the date?

			David Lawyer