[SGVLUG] SGVLUG plan for 2007.

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sat Dec 2 11:08:14 PST 2006

> Jason Riker wrote:
>
> >Hi Group!
> >
> >I'm trying to think of things we can do for next year's SGVLUG to
> >increase both attendance and participation.  One idea I came up with is
> >a "Linux from the Ground Up" series.

I could give a talk on the sad state of free Linux Documentation and
the past and present problems at the Linux Documentation Project
(mainly, a shortage of good volunteers --some have done more harm than
good).  I would also cover the problems with copyright and licenses.
Also, I'd say a few words about the other Linux documentation projects
that failed.  Perhaps I could try to start a thread on documentation
problems on this list.

I'd need a lot of preparation for this talk since I'd like to track
the threads on a special email mailing list in 2000 that attempted
(and failed) to come up with a plan to unify Linux documentation:
Integrate man pages, howtos, gnu info docs, etc. Such a talk would not
help people much in locating the information they need but it would
help them understand the problems.  And who knows, someone who hears
this talk might be of some help in solving them.

			David Lawyer