[SGVLUG] I Got a Paud Rescue Diskette. Replaces Tomsrtbt.

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sat Dec 2 09:57:38 PST 2006

In a previous post I stated that I was unable to rescue my Linux
system with Tomsrtbt.  I needed to use my up-to-date lilo (like grub)
on my HD to fix things but Tomsrtbt wouldn't let me since when I tried
to chroot to the root dir. of the HD I got the error message: "Fatal:
kernel too old".  Per the web, others have reported this same problem.
This problem doesn't happen on an old PC I have which uses kernel 2.2
so perhaps what the error message really meant was that the kernel on
my HD (with the ext3 journalling file system) was "too new" and not
"too old"??

After downloading a Debian rescue diskette and getting the same error
when I attempted to chroot, I had to physically move my HD to another
PC in order to fix the problem.  After this ordeal, I needed to get a
better rescue floppy to handle possible future problems so I
downloaded the Paud rescue diskette (Parted and Utilities Disk).  It
seems to work fine and I'm able to chroot.  It uses kernel 2.4 instead
of the 2.2 on Tomsrtbt.

This email will be archived by search engines and thus be available to
the world even though it may not be of much interest to this LUG.
Sometimes when I'm googling for info (like on biofuels) I get hits on
my own writings on this mailing list.

				David Lawyer