Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Apr 26 17:24:47 PDT 2006

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

>On 4/26/06, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
>

>This actually sounds like a drive/firmware problem. The fact that it
>only happens while ripping cds makes me think firmware is the problem.
>Device manufactures are content providers (example sony), or have
>caved to them and made drives unreliable for ripping cd or dvds.
>
>Yes the firmware can tell that you are reading data, or audio/video
>files and act differently. I have not heard of this particular problem
>but I know for a fact that a lot of new dvd firmware will limit dvd
>ripping 2x instead of the advertised 16x.

This is possible.  Are there prefered brands for CD/DVD
that don't have these sorts of problems?

>Also alot of cd you buy these days are not actually red book cds and
>technecally can not be called cd. They work in when playing in
>standalone cd players and in computer when playing as regular cd but
>cause failures when rip the cd, it is actually a different read mode.

This is extremely unlikely, as I haven't bought a CD since
about 2000 or so (before the DRM madness).  The CDs I'm
having trouble with are about 1985-1990 era disks (my
college days ;-) ).

Actually, the industry's hostility to its customers is one of
the *reasons* I don't buy CDs anymore.  They don't seem to
be learning much from my boycott, but there you are.

>>I also have a DVD drive that writes DVD no one else can read.
>>Pretty irritating, since I was trying to use it to move data from
>>one computer to a standalone system.  Not sure what that's
>>all about.
>>

>Did you make sure the disk is fixated. Also some older drives do not
>like reading burned disk of any kind, or may not like dvd-r or dvd+r
>media.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fixated.   It's remotely possible
that it could be a problem with rewriter versus DVD-ROM.
One of the drives I've tried it on is a slightly out-of-date
DVD-RW drive, though, which also can't read it.

Also, commercial DVD-R disks seem to work fine (e.g. my
purchased Debian distribution disks).  AFAICT, it's only
disks burned from that drive that are a problem.  Also,
the drive itself can read them back without any trouble.
Makes me think of alignment problems, though I didn't
think that DVD or CD technology was subject to that kind
of problem.

Cheers,
Terry