Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Wed Apr 26 08:56:43 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:31:12PM -0700, John Riehl wrote:

> laptop external video screen -  on windows, you plug the external video
> to the output on the back of your laptop, hit the key combo, and it
> works.  with most of the laptops, with linux, it doesnt.  sometimes you
> need to reboot with the external video already plugged in.   often you
> cannot just switch back to the laptop without rebooting or at least
> restarting x.  another erratic issue.

On my laptop, those "special" keys are ACPI events.  I'd look there.
Installers probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to get the
right little scripts in place.

In fact, I had to apply a kernel patch, so there was no choice but to do
it by hand.  In general I think laptop support is a *totally* different
beast than desktop.  I think we're much closer on the desktop than this
thread would suggest, but definitely not with laptops.  I spent a *lot*
of time researching hardware support before I bought this one.

> on the positive side, at the desktop summit, the linux standards base
> 3.1 is supposed to come out, theoretically helping to reduce the
> bloatfulness of kde/gnome.

I don't know about bloatfulness, but Ian (as in DebIAN) did announce it,
and it looks like the goal is commonality.  There is supposed to be a
common way to add items to the menus of both Gnome and KDE, etc.

Dustin