[SGVLUG] Anyone with experience recovering data from flash memory(camera card)

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 15 10:02:43 PDT 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 5:47 am, Jeff Keys wrote:
> Here is a link to an article about a forensics program called Foremost
> that can be used to recover specific file types, i.e., JPEG. It should
> be able to do that even if the file system is damaged. It's a Linux
> program, available at sourceforge:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/foremost/

I think you just saved me about 1980 rupees... [that's $43 at the latest
conversion rate...]

It works, in fact it almost works too well -- some of the files I had on the
camera were .AVI files, and as I told the program to only extract jpg files,
it found and extracted /each frame/ as a separate jpg!

(it also seems to be finding the "thumbnail" pictures embedded within the
photos, however they are all blank...)