[SGVLUG] Newbie question

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Apr 11 12:57:29 PDT 2006

David Lawyer wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:10:09PM -0700, Greg Stark wrote:
>

>>have figured out that I probably want to install SELinux, but I also
>>thought it might be a good idea to create separate partitions for
>>various things.
>>

>Why?  I would put everything on one partition so that all the space
>can be used if needed --no fragmentation.

It promotes "soft failure". If you run into the ceiling
on your home drive, it doesn't crash system processes
using /var and so on.  It's just a matter of "separation
of concerns" -- you don't really want these things to
be depending on each other -- disk usage creates such
a link if they are on the same partition.

Also, if the OP is installing SELinux, they must have some
security concerns. Having multiple partitions allows static
partitions (e.g. /usr) to be locked down en masse by marking
the partition read-only.

I always use multiple partitions on my machines for these reasons.

Cheers,
Terry