[SGVLUG] Newbie question

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sun Apr 9 23:51:59 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:10:09PM -0700, Greg Stark wrote:

> Greg

Why?  I would put everything on one partition so that all the space
can be used if needed --no fragmentation.

> My question is: with one 3GB SCSI drive and one 18GB SCSI drive, and
> knowing what I want to do, what partitions would you recommend I create
> and what sizes would you recommend for those partitions?

Backup needs to be on a separate disk so it will not be destroyed when
one disk crashes.  So if you could get by with 3GB of backup, then use
that disk for backup.  If not, then you need to get a larger drive.
You don't need to backup the software since you can always replace it
for free, but you do need to backup configuration files where you've
changed the defaults.  I would also suggest backing up very important
stuff to your website or to detachable media.  Then if your PC gets
destroyed or stolen, you still have something left.

			David Lawyer