[SGVLUG]Mondo, was: How to split a "big backup" [that uses tar]

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 29 13:28:09 PDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> the executive summary of Kommander is that it lets you build "forms
> populated with widgets" which have [shell] scripts associated with their
> "events".  In useful terms, this means you can create a visual front-end
> to a program that has multiple switches and parameters so the
> point-n-click crowd can join the party as well.

Mmm, probably a good call.  I'm aware of (i.e. have forgotten saved links
to) two such tools: Kaptain and Kommander:

http://kaptain.sourceforge.net/
http://kommander.kdewebdev.org/

I'm not sure if kaptain is still active, but aside from things like that
the principal difference seems to be that kaptain is a qt app. while
kommander is a full kde app.  Both have Debian and Gentoo packages, too.

An ncurses option to tools like this would make them much more attractive
to me, because I'm not inclined to get dependent on a tool that I
couldn't use over ssh on a headless server.

> If you think you can make it to devsig, we can talk about this and maybe
> work something up to >gasp< present in the opening timeslot of the
> meeting...

I think the "cool tools" type of slot has about enough time to say "this
is what Mondo is and does" and "here is a sample script that chooses the
correct command-line options."  A kommander solution, which very cool,
would probably force you to *also* introduce kommander and what it does,
and give an example on a simple tool that people are already familiar
with, and that's probably more time than should be taken.

On a day when a backup-related topic is being presented, I still would
like to have the survey questions be "how often do you do backups" and
"what tools do you use."  The results should be, ah, interesting.

Dustin