[SGVLUG]Mondo, was: How to split a "big backup" [that uses tar]

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Sep 29 11:01:58 PDT 2005

[... current administrator of the system in question is linux-shy...]
> > maybe Mondo won't help.  I had to write a tiny little shell
> script to feed
> > it the command-line options to make it do exactly what I wanted.
>
> um, <diffident foot shuffling> is it tacky to ask if I can
> borrow your script?

or perhaps kill a bird and a half with the same stone -- I've recently come across a program called "kommander", which is technically part of the KDE "web development" package, but it looks like (kde's) answer to vbscript on the desktop [complete with associated security holes... :( ]

the executive summary of Kommander is that it lets you build "forms populated with widgets" which have [shell] scripts associated with their "events".  In useful terms, this means you can create a visual front-end to a program that has multiple switches and parameters so the point-n-click crowd can join the party as well.

If you think you can make it to devsig, we can talk about this and maybe work something up to >gasp< present in the opening timeslot of the meeting...