[SGVLUG] Camera recommendations?

DYN: Jim Workman JimW at dynashoe.com
Tue Sep 27 12:44:43 PDT 2005

Depends on your priorities:

I think Megapixels have been fine since 3.x, but my 2 priorities, Optical Zoom and pocket-ability seem to be diametrically opposed.

Olympus 7xx series has 8 & 10x optical zoom which is great for outdoors, but won't fit in your pocket.  (They retire them so often that you can find a 740 or 750 for ~$200.)

On the pocketablility front, I bought the Canon S100 stainless steel mini-brick when it first came out.  It fits in Dockers pockets okay.  Now I want it to expire so I can get one of the new ultra-thins with periscope-type zoom completely within the camera.  Pentax X-series started this but others have joined the game.

The Sunday Times had an Olympus 4MP, 3x zoom clamshell-style for $150 at one of Office stores.  For the price, it's probably a good all-around camera (especially if it may end up on Sunset Peak.)

Jim