[SGVLUG] Open Source Software and the City of Los Angeles

Robin Rowe rower at MovieEditor.com
Tue Sep 20 17:05:02 PDT 2005

An update on the City of Los Angeles OSS initiative that was announced in
February. The short of it is that the city has not launched a Linux OSS
pilot project and the city IT department says Linux could offer no cost
savings. Regardless, several city departments have installed Linux without
the support of the initiative.

The ITGS committee responsible for the city's OSS initiative has had some
changes. Councilmember Eric Garcetti is no longer on the committee.
Councilmember Janice Hahn is the new chair. I met with Hahn's legislative
director Jenny Chavez last week. I'd hoped a staff change could mean faster
action, but the plan and rate of progress seem unchanged.

In February the city council tasked the IT department to study OSS to seek
innovative ways to cut the IT budget. If IT succeeds at finding any savings
the reward will be a funding cut to give the money to another department
(police). As might be expected, progress at finding substantial
self-inflicted budget cuts has been slow. The council could have ordered the
budget cuts and compelled IT to move to OSS in February. By passing a motion
to study OSS by the department least likely to embrace it, some politicians
have had the benefit of positive PR without really doing anything.

My note to Jenny Chavez, enclosed below, covers the facts.

Robin