[SGVLUG] Web Archive Voting Results.

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Sep 19 16:06:05 PDT 2005

you're muddying the waters with these variables -- What's "A"?

> You say:
>
> set A != B
> set A != C
> set B = C

hmmm... generally given that A is not B or C, I *rarely* make the statement that "therefore B IS C", however I did say something that might lead you to believe I said "b -is- c", so let me clarify:

  * the people that said "NO" was 13.3% [not 47%]

  * the people that said "yes, public" is 53.3% [the "simple majority"]

  * the people that said "yes, but private" are immaterial since there is no effective thing as "private" when access to the private list is by an automated (non-screened) response  [this was 5 of the 15 votes, or 33.3%]

I suspect you thought I combined the "yes private" with "yes public" when I said "a simple majority exists", however I did not.  They simply dropped out of the equation (kind of like the "missing dollar" joke/puzzle -- it's all in how you present the data...)

> I say:
>
> The A-B coalition combines to be 47%.   :-)

Hmmmm...  Attempting to apply some deductive reasoning to your comments, I gather you assigned variables as follows:

   A = NO [based on "a by itself is out in the cold"]

   C = yes, public [based on your statement of "anything is better than C" and your initial stance that the list being public was an undesireable thing]

   B = Yes, but private [inferred as the last available condition]

which shows how you're muddying the waters.  While this allows the "set b=c" [yes = yes], it reveals that you are attempting to count some "yes" votes in with the "no" votes [a-b coalition]

However, one thing I think we can all agree on is:

   CFL = 1DH

[current flogging level = 1 dead horse]

Tom

(yeah, I knew I was going to regret it...)