[SGVLUG] warning - some SMB/SOHO storages devices don't work w/linux

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 15:06:42 PDT 2005

Hi,

We were just looking at some affordable storage
devices..

in particular an item from netgear...
http://www.netgear.com/promotions/2005/storage_central.php

looked nice...

well - after a bit of digging.. turns out it isn't..

remember the DNAS item we looked at awhile back...

well this is a SAN device (block) - BUT it is based
on proprietary protocal .... (the company zetera.com which
designed the protocal claims they're more open than iSCSI
and FC!.. blah! Marketing mud slinging and FUD ... )

since the protocal is proprietary - there is only support
for windows WHICH requires you to load software drivers
for it.

anyways - I'm always wondering about solutions which
do NOT support Mac OS X and Linux ...

best
matti