[SGVLUG] How fast spam spiders work.

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 12 14:54:13 PDT 2005

On Monday 12 September 2005 20:52, serross at ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Sorry Tom, but what I am talking about is not scripted.

Hmmm... I may have snipped one too many "attribs" -- reviewing the thread, you
only gave a hint that "incripters" that create "encripted links" exist
[though I think you meant "encrypt"] and Douglas B. replied with "here is a
site I use that does the work for you", followed by Mike M.'s similar
example.  My comment is that if enough people start using javascript to
obfuscate the page (so far as a spider is concerned) yet still "render"
nicely, spammers will simply resort to tactics such as "rendering" the script
to see if it reveals a viable address.

Though now I'm curious -- what method are you talking about that obscures
things from spiders, yet reveals them "to a real person", and doesn't use
some form of [java]script?  (and I'll ask in advance, "and how does it
prevent a "spider" from deciphering an address?)

--
Top o' the Blog: Too hot to handle
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html