[SGVLUG] any recommendations - pci wifi card for linux

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Sat Sep 10 00:52:23 PDT 2005

matti wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Ok! - I'm looking for a pci wifi card
>which works well with linux ..
>
>does anyone have any recommendations?
>
>it should be a card that I can pickup
>locally in a store.. today or tomorrow...
>
>(so far we've had no luck getting a netgear
>wg311 working.. perhaps someone has advice
>on getting that card to work.. )

I'm interested also.

I need to get 50 802.11g cards (that only need to work with windows xp
initially) over the next couple weeks for a company that leases space
from a building that provides ethernet ports (up to three to each cube),
but at $50 per port per month.  They'd rather spend the money on
expansion than on ethernet ports and phones.

Anyone know of any open source friendly wifi card manufacturers?  Price
isn't too much of an issue since so much is to be saved, but it is a
reasonable concern.

 From my research, wifi support (as in GPL drivers) is relegated to old
chipsets and ndiswrapper (hey, at least the module is GPL!)

Mike