[SGVLUG] Non-web archives -- how?

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 9 10:57:33 PDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Hershel Remer wrote:

> Well, the beauty of majordomo is that it creates archives for you.
> UUASC's are bundled into monthly packages accessible for download via
> majordomo.

Which, I should mention, I have never used because it is more cumbersome I
can find useful info faster searching the web.  I don't like web fora for
reading, but I do like them for searching.  The UUASC list would serve me
personally better to have a public archive.

It clearly should *not* have a public archive, because what would serve me
better wouldn't serve others.  But let's keep in mind that UUASC has a
very different demographic than SGVLUG.  UUASC has far more professional
unix admins who may well have some good professional reasons to not want a
public archive.  I don't get the sense this is true for SGVLUG--if it is,
then naturally we could do the same as UUASC, but most people have said
they prefer a public archive and so far nobody has said they want no
archive at all.

Horses for courses.  SGVLUG has a different demographic than UUASC and has
to determine what works for it.

> Well, the downloads become like regular mailbox files and you can treat them
> the same way you treat your own inbox, I suppose. But, before I'd go through
> all that trouble, I would first check our rather lengthy FAQs page to see if
> it contains the info I was interested in:
>
> http://cwelug.homelinux.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?UUASC_FAQ

Which more or less says that it's less efficient to search the archive for
information.  That has to be considered.

Dustin